Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Casting on

Everything in this world has a beginning, a middle, and end. In knitting we call the beginning "casting on", and thus this is the cast on for my knitting blog.

I'd been toying with the idea of a knitting blog for a few months now. Why? I've been regularly reading other, excellent, entertaining and inspirational knitting blogs and had delusions of granduer. And I think too much about knitting so might as well spread the obsession. And at the same time go public about how much of a knit-wit I am. :-)

In fact, I reckon this blog would have been started far earlier if it wasn't for the lack of a title. I wanted something cute, descriptive, suiting my personality, and yet not too formal. I didn't want anything that smacked of committment, or anything that might group me with true knitting nanas. I had a lot of great title ideas. I thought of being a Knit Wit, but it was taken. As was the title of Yarn Harlot. Alterknitively in a knitting boutique in my area and I didn't want to step on their toes, but didn't have many other Purls of Wisdom.

So I gave up on the idea of using a cute, punny name, as apparently they're all taken. Or at least coming up with an available one required far too much brainpower than I have. So, maybe partially as a tribute to my efforts, I came up with Knit Spastic.

No, it's not a cute catch phrase, but maybe it will be when my funky knitting and sparkling wit rocket me to knitting fame. But it does quite succinctly capture the essence of my knitting. I knit in fits and bursts. I hop (albeit guiltily) from one project to another. I compulsively buy yarn faster than I used to compusively buy books. I'm both a social knitter and a closet knitter and I can bore anyone with hours on end of knitter natter.

So, without further ado....

2 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

Okay you lost me in about the second sentence, but I'm a fan so I'll keep reading. :P

Focus_ret said...

Shawl I needle you and knit-pick even though I'm knot a knitter?